Friday, March 4, 2011

Quilting Away the Calories

It has been a little over 6 weeks and I am not only 14 lbs. lighter but stronger and smarter! For the first time in my life I don't feel like I am on a diet but that I have finally learned to eat correctly. I still love food, I have just found that I can love healthy food! There is nothing more exciting to me than finding a new recipe that is full of goodness and tastes like heaven! There is a cafe here that has the best salads ever and it has become a treat for me to go there and order one! This is very very strange for me as normally, I would consider a splurge to be a dozen chocolate chip cookies! It is such a relief to be able to go out to eat without that panic of what should I order, as I have finally learned how to choose appropriate foods even while dining out! The other night, we went to a burger joint (which could have been a disaster) and I ordered the ostrich burger (which is delicious and extremely lean) and then took off the top bun. I enjoyed it just as much as I would have if it was a double with cheese!

I am still working out with Terrance the trainer. In fact I have actually increased my time with him and see him 3 days a week now. While I still dread it and hate all 60 minutes, I love seeing and feeling the results. I will never been one of those people who is addicted to working out and LOVES it, but I know it's important and it is becoming less of a struggle to get my rear end to the gym.

Photobucket
Because I spend most of my time at home (near a kitchen) I have discovered ways to fill my time and keep my hands busy so they can't shove food into my face. One of the other women here, Carol, is a quilting expert (literally, she teaches classes on this stuff). She has taught me so much and with her help I finished my first quilt top (I made it with a darling Halloween jelly roll I bought at Scrapbook etc.) and a table runner that actually had an intricate pattern. I am in the process of starting another quilt and I am totally hooked. It is such an amazing expeirence to watch the little pieces come together into something bigger and to know I did that! It is the perfect hobby for me in this time in my life, especially considering having food anywhere near fabric is a bad idea. I have been blog stalking and I am blown away by the talented quilters out there that have made quilting cool and trendy. You have to check out http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/ and http://www.pleasant-home.com/. These are just two of the many websites featuring some incredibly talented quilters.

Yesterday at a crafting expo I actually purchased some yard and knitting needles. Not only can Carol quilt the woman can knit a sweater, in just days, that should be sold in a store! I have always wanted to learn and figured now is the time. I do have to laugh when I think about what I am doing to fill my days...quilting and knitting, who knew?

1 comment:

  1. The quilt looks amazing Sarah! I made one quilt in the past and it turned out great----I just had to sew and unpick so many times. Not to mention that the machine would always get stuck because of the way the thread was feeding. What a great hobby to have!

    ReplyDelete