Sunday, January 3, 2010

We wish you a Merry Christmas!


This is the picture that I would have used if I sent out a Christmas card this year! But that didn't happen so here it is for your viewing pleasure! And Merry Christmas...just a little late!

In the past I would have said that Christmas was more work then pleasure. I have always been a bit of a Scrooge because of all the time and chaos involved in the event. Between getting cards out on time, Christmas decorations, baking, neighbor gifts, crowded stores and last minute shopping its enough for me to forget the reason for the season. But this year I said enough is enough and I kept it simple! I still went a bit overboard on Christmas presents for the kids but I kept the decorations to a minimum and cut everything else out. It was a simple, easy Christmas and I was able to enjoy every minute! This Christmas was even more meaningful then past years because Trent came home after being away for two months, I finished and passed my first semester in grad school and we were all together everyday for two weeks! We were able to see all the grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins over the holidays and still celebrate with our own traditions. On Christmas Eve we read a Christmas story before the kids go to bed. This year Aiden picked it, and out of the many stories we have he chose the story of the Nativity. When I asked him why he chose that story he said its because he wanted to read about Jesus' birth since that what Christmas is about! I love those moments when the kids show us their depth! Just like all kids, Aiden and Anna love the presents involved in the celebration but they know the true meaning of Christmas is not about Santa and presents but that its about the birth of our Savior. If they remembered that as they tore through their abundance of presents then we have done our best to instill in them what really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment