Monday, January 3, 2011

Baking for Africa

One of my favorite things about our church is its emphasis on service. As young primary children we participate in various service projects that increase in time and size when we enter the Young Men/Women organization. Expectations have changed even since I was involved in “Personal Progress” some 15 years ago and I was excited to learn that the Young Women are now expected to complete several 10 hour service projects.

PhotobucketPhotobucketWhen I sent out an email to family and friends asking for donations to help us provide Christmas to the students at Aurora Primary School, I never expected the response I received. I know the Lord has a hand in everything but it never ceases to amaze me when opportunities come together perfectly. One of the responses I received was from my friend Hannah. Her daughter Bailee was working on her personal progress and wanted to do some kind of fundraiser but hadn’t found anything that interested her yet. Helping children all the way in Africa was just the thing she was looking for! Amazingly with such short notice, Bailee and her mom organized a bake sale/fashion show! She had several cousins and friends dress up in the cutest outfits while she MC’d and her mom, aunts and grandma baked and baked and baked so they had plenty of goodies to sale. The event was held in front of her house and the turnout was unbelievable. Little Miss Bailee’s fundraiser brought in $500.00!!!!!!! In Rand that equals R3500 and was the excess we were hoping to raise in order to meet the schools never ending needs.


I was lucky to be in town for Christmas and to be able to go over to Hannah’s house to talk with them about the event and see their pictures. Bailee is one of those special spirits who come into the world with a testimony big enough to share. She is a great example of faith and service and seems years older than 14. My testimony of charity and service has increased because of her and all those that have been so willing to help children living half way around the world.

Because Hannah and Bailee had such an awesome experience, they have decided this is something they want to do every year. I am thrilled at the possibility of future Christmas’s for the beautiful children at Aurora.

No comments:

Post a Comment